Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Stare

A very odd habit that I've observed among Belgians is what I call "The Stare". I notice it nearly every time I'm out walking somewhere. Inevitably, at least one person I cross will stare me down. They'll look me in the eye and the stare doesn't waver. The Stare usually starts a few steps away and will usually last just until I pass the starer. It's not just a glance and a look-away. It's a full-on stare with the head turning until I pass. No matter what I do, they seem transfixed. I've tried smiling, saying hello, staring back, but nothing stops The Stare.

I think I've noticed The Stare in Flanders more than other areas of Belgium, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's a European wide thing and I've only recently noticed it.

I'm not sure what else to say about The Stare at this point. It confuses me. I don't really have a theory as to why it occurs. Maybe there were times when I've had a giant zit on my forehead or something, but certainly not every time. Maybe I'm just weird looking.


Have you noticed The Stare? I'm curious about this one. Please comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've noticed it too, my wife...being belgian, says its the american tattoo we have on our forehead.